Thursday, July 14, 2011

Salad of the Day

Mesclun Mix with Strawberries and Feta Cheese


  • Toss mesclun greens with a bottled vinaigrette

  • Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese

  • Add sliced fresh strawberries

  • Lightly splash the strawberries with balsamic vinegar



I tried a new salad idea last night. I've been growing mesclun greens indoors since May. They seem very happy at 75 degrees in a shallow tray by a sunny window. I've seen strawberries in salads at restaurants. I've also heard chefs on the Food Network sing the praises of strawberries with balsamic vinegar. I had strawberries on the verge of going bad, so I gave it a try.

Wow! The balsamic vinegar seemed to intensify the flavor of the strawberries. The strawberries were a bit overripe, but that was perfect for the salad. The sweetness of the strawberries contrasted well with the slightly bitter greens, and the feta added a nice salty flavor.

This one's a definite winner.

&&

No comments: